Symptoms of Polio
Though in the most severe cases, Poliomyelitis virus can cause paralysis and even death, a large number of people who have been infected with polio virus do not even become aware that they have been infected.
In case of non paralytic polio, people may develop mild, flu like symptoms as those caused by common viruses. Symptoms can last for 2-10 days. Non paralytic Poliomyelitis is characterized by:
• Sore throat
• Neck pain and stiffness
• Back pain or stiffness
• Muscle tenderness or spasms
• Stiffness or pain in legs and arms.
In the case of paralytic polio, which is the most severe form, initial symptoms may be similar to non paralytic Poliomyelitis. However, after 1-10 days, other symptoms such as these may appear
• Severe muscle spasms and aches
• Loss of reflexes
• Acute flaccid paralysis (loose and floppy limbs) which can be worse on side of body.
• Paralysis onset may be quite sudden.