Risk Factors of Polio
• Non immunization
• Poor sanitation
• Very young children, pregnant women and those with weakened immunity
Risk Factors In case a person hasn’t been immunized
• Traveling to areas where Poliomyelitis is rampant or has recently witnessed an outbreak
• Living with those shedding Poliomyelitis virus
• Handling live Poliomyelitis virus specimens in labs
• Having tonsillectomy
• Compromised immunity, as in HIV infection.
• Activities of extreme strain and stress can depress the body’s immunity.